Initial considerations for threading
These initial considerations will affect the choice of threading method, threading tool and how they are applied.
Consider the following dimensions and quality demands of the thread to be machined:
- External or internal thread?
- Thread profile (eg. metric, UN)
- Thread pitch
- Right or left-hand thread?
- Number of thread starts
- Tolerance (profile, position)
After considering the features, look at the component:
- Can the component be fixed securely?
- Is chip evacuation or chip control a critical issue?
- Does the material have good chip-breaking properties?
- Component batch size. Mass production of threads may justify using multi-teeth inserts or an optimized Tailor Made tool to maximize productivity
- Single or multi-thread
The thread form
The thread defines the geometry of a thread and includes component diameters (major, pitch and minor diameter), thread profile angle, pitch, radii and helix angle. See
The most common thread forms and profiles are shown below.
|Application||Thread form||Thread type||Code|
|Food and fire||
||Round DIN 405||RN|
|Oil and gas ||
API ”V” form 60°
V38, 40, 50